Friday 15 March 2024

Moda Mauve

This block is from the Moda Free Pattern page. Moda calls it "Love". (See webpage here.) (PDF Pattern here.) It's a nice name, but I don't see the love in there. It is so versatile in the sense that depending on where the values are, you can change the look of the block and quilters love that. 

So, I searched for another name. Spent a lot of time with Google and some translation websites, trying all the possibilities with Star, Nova, Comet, Shining, Rising, Morning, Praising, etc.  

It finally boiled down to two options: Rock Star ... or ... 


... Double Halo Star. Which one do you prefer? I'm open to suggestions, as always. 


Do you remember when I did the red one I said that the back of the block was a hot mess? I decided to construct the purple one as a 9-patch block, to see if it would be easier. 

The corner piece... 
First row second unit ... I don't know what happened to the middle unit's picture but it's basically a square-in-a-square block. 
It was easier to assemble and it lay flatter. 

To catch up with the RSC colours already called a green block had to be done. Out came some green scrap and ... 

This one was assembled as per Moda's instruction. The direction says to sew in rows. Well, this was the toughest of the three to do (for me). I had to refer to the picture constantly while sewing the pieces into rows. I ironed the HSTs in the wrong direction (too often), and the points won't align properly (that bugs me) due to the long rows. I might unstitch some parts and fidget with it. IMHO, this way is harder than necessary. 

The next one will be assembled with Flying Geese units and a real square-in-a-square unit. I'll let you know how that works out. 


Although I've not posted a picture of my bloopers for a long time, you can be sure that I still do them frequently. Here's my latest one.  



Decluttering with Joy ( 100 Days 100 Things Decluttered ): 

Some cutting, some cleaning, and some decluttering occurred this week again. 
The drawer of the 3" scraps was emptied and cleaned. It now houses my crafting and graph papers. 

The top drawer still holds the "bigger pieces" scrap, then two cleaned drawers (originally the 3" and the 2.5" storage drawer), and next will be the 2" drawer. The last drawer holds the letter paper and notepads. 

Don't have many 3" scraps left but they are nicely settled in this tub and stored in the bookcase...

... and look who I found at the bottom of that drawer! 

Another piece of the M&M millennium fabric. Yes, millennium! Gosh! will I ever live this fabric down? Haha!


This mini bookcase, the size of a lectern but with a flat top, is my cutting table beside my sewing table. It will be so easy to grab the tub I need now. 

The decluttered things being sent to a second-hand store include a photo album, a binder and some patterns. 

Did you do any Creative Glass? I had a lot of fun with this craft. It's a liquid leading that sticks to glass and then you paint the inside. I did the entire window next to the principal door with leaves way back when. 

I'm leaving you with a picture of Raven. He's not happy because I'm taking pictures of scrap instead of petting him. 


Poor thing! How will you feel when I'm sewing all day because it is International Quilting Day? 


I have a few projects lined up for that. And you? 


Have a great one! 
;^) 



Joining these talented ladies during the week: 





10 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

I just finished a quilt that had the Moda Love star as the center medallion. I called it carpenter's star. Your star is very pretty, happy stitching!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I've never heard that block called a Double Halo Star, but that's an interesting name. Experimenting to find the best method of assembly? I, personally, stick with the row-style construction. Good luck find the way that works best for you! Speaking of working... Go you, on the decluttering and organizing, Chantal!!

scraphappy said...

Each block is beautiful on its own, but seeing them all together is just stunning. What a great quilt they will make.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Love - hha!! Torture ... just kidding. I guess I always thought that was a variation of a carpenters wheel or something like that - now I want to know!

Sara said...

Looks like a Rock Star to me! It's a beautiful block.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your M&M scrap is like an old friend coming to visit! I remember the quilt you made with those guys. I love the Moda star block in every color! I can definitely see why you would want to experiment with construction to come up with fewer seams.

Fiona said...

I love your Moda love blocks.... I have kept meaning to do one in big size... You are doing well with the clean and decluttering and inspiring me....
Hugz

Lin said...

I definitely prefer Double Halo Star! Don't they look great all together. xx

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I thought it was a variations of the Carpenter's Wheel. What a good idea to figure out a better stitching sequence so the rows nest! This is one beautiful block!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Magnifique bloc ! J'aime bien le 2e nom, Double Halo Star, sonne bien à l'oreille ! Ta construction, autrement qu'en rang, est efficace.
Caresse à Raven !
Merci pour le partage.