Saturday 9 March 2024

Simple Purple

A busy week with lots of cleaning tried to keep me away from my sewing machine. I persisted in sewing something anyway. Ha!


On Tuesday, at the Artisanat meeting, I received a big bag of scraps. (Sorry, no picture) Of course, I didn't say "No, thanks!" (See this post for the beginning of that story.) There was a lot of black fabric ... so much black! I cut some up already to make more Stained Glass blocks, trying to salvage as much as possible. 

Purple Stained Glass and crumb block. A lighter purple Stained Glass will be assembled this weekend. 


On the "Free" table at the meeting, there were not one but two embroidery/cross-stitch frames. I took both! This one needs a screw and a butterfly nut to hold the stand. 

The second frame is ready to go. So many of you make wonderful things with floss that I've been thinking for a while now, that I want to pick up floss again. ( I think I hear someone calling me Dory. Hahahahaha!) 



Sylvie gave me 17 magazines. (I guess she is decluttering too.) I already had only one of these magazines. Many hours will be spent looking into these projects. Thanks, Sylvie. 



I completed more Shoreline blocks this week as I wanted to finish the black thread bobbin. So, the total of blocks is now 84. Still have 172 to do. 

Well, that makes a scary emoji! 

A grey Stained Glass block was also assembled because ... you know, black thread bobbin. 

I am in love with this one.

Now that the black bobbin is empty, let's get into lighter colours and get the Moda block assembled. Gotta find a better name for it. 


Decluttering with Joy ( 100 Days 100 Things Decluttered ): 

I cleaned more than decluttered this week. I remain committed to reducing the scrap though. So, when I find a piece like this lovely purple that never gets used because of its bold white flowers, 

instead of putting it back in the scrap bag, I cut it down to 2 inches or whatever size. It will look great in a scrap quilt. 
 

Right now, the scrap bag corner is my pet peeve. They have to slim down and get used. 

So many scraps, so little time



Happy sewing everyone! 
;^)


Joining these talented ladies during the week: 
Cynthia for Oh Scrap
Angela at So Scrappy
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict



14 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

lovely scrap sewing...that's my current focus--projects that use up scraps. it is rewarding but takes longer than originally thought it would...

PaintedThread said...

My scrap squares are breeding faster than I can use them! Have fun with your scraps!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Had to laugh at the "face" you made with your Shoreline blocks, Chantal! Is there another shelf unit somewhere in the house that could fit in the spot where the scrap bags are sitting? They might be less annoying there than on the floor.

Jenny said...

Cleaning and decluttering can certainly take some time, so I'm pleased to see you managed a bit of sewing time too. Flickering through old quilt mags can give you plenty of ideas, then you can recycle them too.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Du tissu noir c'est comme le blanc, c'est toujours utile ! Tes blocs sont très réussis, et le gris-noir est beau ! Bonne lecture avec tous ces magazines !
Bises

Lin said...

You achieved a lot. The stained glass blocks all look lovely as does the shoreline scary! That first frame looks interesting - is it old? Looking forward to seeing what you decide to stitch. xx

Fiona said...

Every little bit of decluttering and tidying counts ... as does sewing. Now who would be thinking of calling you Dory???? haha. I picked up a couple of those frames recently too..... not tried one yet
Hugz

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

It's always fun to see what you've been working on throughout the week, Chantal! Your stained glass blocks are looking good and the Shoreline blocks, too. Have fun playing with all those scraps, too - you always do amazing things with them!

Astrid said...

There's always time for sewing, isn't it?! Love your blocks, especially the emoji one, lol! I have those small pieces of fabrics too, big enough for mug rug backing, but lately, when I see them, they end up squares. I love quilt magazines, so relaxing to flip through the pages.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Great progress on the stained glass blocks this week! And I laughed out loud at the Shoreline emoji! Good luck with the embroidery. I'm trying to resist it, but there are so many cute projects to make.

QuiltGranma said...

Those magazines! LOVED them when they were printed, I bought I hope, every one of them. They were very inspiring to me, though I never made any with pieces cut smaller than 1 1/2". One, as I recall, has a pattern to trace for a mini whole cloth quilt. I traced it on a larger piece and added radiating lines around it. That was fun to hand quilt.

Nann said...

I like the stained glass blocks and look forward to seeing how you will set them. The Chitra magazines had many good patterns and ideas. I couldn't justify the expense to subscribe to them and patience paid off when I bought a huge box of them at a rummage sale for ten cents each. It's fun to go through those back issues.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Aren't stained glass blocks fun. What a great way to declutter your latest collection of gifted black scraps.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Gosh those stained glass blocks are really pretty - the colors look so good together ... yes! that is a scary emoji haha!