Friday 12 April 2024

Knee Deep in Yellow

Sorting yellow by shades was my first task.
 

Some are not yellow by any definition but I don't know which colour I should add it to, so yellow it is. 

Burnt mustard? Copper? 

So, it got cut up into useable squares and stored away. Many others followed. And the bag got lighter.


Of course, most are sewn into something or another like this.

The 9patch in the middle is gold. I don't really like gold because, most of the time, it looks dirty like this one. I was about to cut it up when I spotted another gold one with little stars. I made one block and the rest got whacked. 

And of course, Stained Glass was done too. The second one will be brighter than this one. 

For those of you who wonder how the stained glass blocks go together, here's a group photo. 

Not much yet but enough to see the trellis effect. Some white triangles (still missing) will be added to each side of the block to form the square. I'm still debating if I want a one-piece triangle or a crumb triangle. Do I have enough white scraps to pull this through? 

I forgot to mention my personal UFO Rainbow Challenge. What is my UFO-RSC for yellow? 
Spinner was tagged with yellow. 
Do you know where Spinner is? Me either! 
The hunt is on. 

Meanwhile, I'll keep feeding my sewing machine with yellow scraps. 


Decluttering with Joy ( 100 Days 100 Things Decluttered )

This week I've put the heavy bedsheets away and got the lighter ones out. Some didn't make it back in the closet. 

I don't remember ever using these. Two flat sheets that were kept as quilt backings but I have enough of those so out they went. A fleece blanket nobody likes and some dishcloths bought a long long time ago. As they are too thin for my taste, I've only used one but, I've kept the others. Why? Out they go! 
(I should have counted how many items got decluttered.) Thanks, Joy for the support in doing this. I actually find this fun. 

Not exactly decluttering but reorganizing for sure. Two containers were emptied this week. (Will I ever be done?) 



These little bits are barely one inch and were trashed. Sorry, but the insanity has to stop somewhere. 
Of course, there were purple bits and pieces in there, making the slim bag a little heavier but still just one bag. Yay! 


On the quilting front, I'm almost at the second corner. Maybe I'll get to the corner block by Sunday when I join Kathy and her friends for a Slow Sunday Stitching. Wouldn't that be nice? 

At the top of the picture, the grey and blue block is done. The black and grey with oval/circle print is where I'm at. And then, the second corner. I really didn't leave a lot of batting on that side. I wonder why? Anywho! I need to finish this before the summer heat stalls me. 
EDITED: Yes, I made it. I am sewing the corner block today (Sunday). Not counting the corner block, there are ONLY 15 more blocks to go. 

That's all for me.
Have a great one! 

;^)

Joining these talented ladies during the week: 
Cynthia for Oh Scrap
NinaMarie at Creations - Quilts, Art, Whatever





23 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Good progress on sorting, sewing, and decluttering, Chantal!! Best of luck with your UFO pick for YELLOW.

Fiona said...

You've done well this week, great yellows and decluttering.... I agree we do need to get rid of some bits...
Hugz

PaintedThread said...

Those stained glass blocks look cool! I agree with you for the 1" squares. There's more seams than block with those!

MissPat said...

I chuckled when you said the insanity needs to stop somewhere. I'm at that point, too. I have so much fabric and yetI keep saving all these littlebits and sewing them together with other little bits. Why? It's not like I'm going to run out of fabric any time soon (or in my lifetime).
Pat

Lin said...

Everything looking good and I love the effect of the stained glass trellis, going to be gorgeous. I really could do with a bit of de cluttering, in the meantime I am on the hunt for a missing project too. Thought I would get my 1797 hexagons quilt layered up but so far it is AWOL. Have a great week. xx

Andree G. Faubert said...

Bonjour Chantal, your trellis effect is wonderful. J'ai bien hâte de voir les résultats!

Quilting Babcia said...

All your yellow scraps look so cheerful, after looking out the window at the gray that is April. You're becoming an expert at decluttering, one day maybe I'll get up the energy to do the same.

Sara said...

The decluttering process is slowly plugging along at my house too, thanks to Joy. And so is a bit of fabric & pattern reorganizing. But I have a long way to go yet.

I'm intrigued with your stained glass blocks, and look forward to seeing more as they come together.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I find those weird shades in every color that you don't know where they fit! Sometimes you can figure out a creative way to use them, though. Those stained glass blocks are going to make a fabulous quilt!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Thank you for confessing that you threw out your 1" scraps. You are right, there is a limit to how small I am willing to go, especially with irregular shapes. That being said, the thin strips in your trellis quilt are perfect for the RSC.

Jenny said...

I've just changed our summer cotton sheets for nice cozy winter ones, I do so love a nice warm bed. I dont keep tiny scraps either, and have a small plastic bag by my sewing machine to store bigger scraps which I dont want, these will get donated. Your unwanted fleece blanket could be used as a cozy backing for a donation quilt, I've used a couple in that way.

maggie fellow said...

so love your scrappy goodness

Deb A said...

You are making great progress on the quilting and decluttering front. I love those stained glass blocks. I'd bet a black in the triangle area would look good too.

Angela said...

It is fun to use up the scraps. I agree it has to stop somewhere!

The Cozy Quilter said...

A few years ago, I spent hours and hours sorting all my scraps into bins by colour. It took ages but now it is easy to find things for projects and I actually use them. Now, I have a small basket in my sewing room where the scraps go. When it’s full, I sort them into the appropriate bins. I like your stained glass blocks. They will make a beautiful quilt!

Karrin Hurd said...

Great projects! My scraps aren't sorted at all, but I have a lot cut up into blocks and rectangles and strips. I am currently getting ready for next Wednesday's guild meeting and quilter's garage sale, finding things I no longer want and hope to be able to sell.

Susie H said...

Good for you to make such good progress on the decluttering. The stain blocks are stunning. My vote is string white corners but either way will be great.

gayle said...

I hope Spinner comes out of hiding soon! What a joker it is!
And I love your stained glass blocks! Either the solid lights or the strippy lights would work fine - maybe try both and see what you think?

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I agree with you about yellow and how gold can look dirty. Way to go on your organizing and decluttering! You are in the zone!

CathieJ said...

Oh my, you've been busy! The decluttering process is not easy. I have been in the midst of it for some time. Your stained glass blocks are very pretty.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Your yellows are a pretty addition to the stained glass blocks!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Jolis blocs jaunes, ou d'une couleur approchant ;) Je mélange aussi les dorés, beiges, ce n'est pas toujours facile de catégoriser les couleurs ! Bravo pour les rangements, classements, et surtout éliminations ! Je suis admirative.
Merci pour le partage !

Astrid said...

Lots of pretty yellow scraps. My limit is 1.5", smaller cuts end up dog bed fillings to a local shelter. Good luck with your decluttering! I went through part of the kitchen cupboard last week and did get rid of different things.