Friday 5 April 2024

Barely Alive But Still Kicking

I wrote (it seems like such a long time ago) that I had found a job. Thank you all for your good wishes. It breaks my heart but, unfortunately, the job was short-lived. My back didn't like that job, so I had to quit. Sigh! My back is more important to me than minimum wage. I spent the next three (four?) days in bed nurturing the cranky back in question. I gave it a try is all I can say.  Now, I'm at the computer, searching for a job. Fingers crossed again. 
And life goes on. 

On a more fun note, let's talk scrap!

Remember this picture from the beginning of March? Let's see what happened to it.   

Along with all the purple sewing I did here, here and here, I added a "raspberry purple" Stained Glass and a 6.5" square. 

A reminder of the mess crumb sewing makes. 
I tried to separate the different purples, but they kept walking all over the desk. Sigh! 


I started to create some 4.5" crumbs because another quilt took shape in my mind ... it is now annoyingly haunting me. The little "blueberry purple" is for the Hole in the Barn Door quilt. That border needs help. 


Little 3.5" 9-patch blocks were also added. 

I needed the help of brown fabric to please this finicky purplish wine, far right. I tried so hard to use them all up. But the month came to an end. 

Crumb blocks that are half done. Sorry for these bits but they returned to the bag and await another purple sewing session. 

This is what's left of the purple scraps. 

This is the smaller of the two bags in the first photo and it is this flat! 


I'm so happy! The goal is to get all the bags holding the smallest scraps into ONE drawer. If I may blow my own horn, this is an excellent start. (insert happy dance here) 
Challenge accepted! 



Decluttering with Joy ( 100 Days 100 Things Decluttered )

I didn't manage to declutter this week but my son came to my rescue, unknowingly to him. He emptied the dishwasher and declared that I had too many cups. He couldn't put them all on one shelf. Well, then. Let's get rid of some. 

5 cups and 2 travel mugs later, I had decluttered. Thanks, son! (The metal cut on its side is where I used to work.)

On Tuesday, we had our Artisanat meeting and the Take-Away table had something EXTREMELY interesting: FABRIC!

I came home with 1 meter of orange fabric, 3/4 of a meter of black/grey/orange fabric, half a meter of red fabric and some big scraps of blue, about a quarter of a meter. Free! Yay! 


Also, a quilter friend gave me a lettuce box full of scraps. I am so spoiled! Thank you, Michèle. She also brought me two quilts to donate to the Quilts for Survivors. But more on that in another post. 


So, now for the next week: Yellow. I happened to knock two birds with one stone (not that I would do that literally but ...) The Table Scrap Challenge's theme was "bird". This challenge is hosted by The Joyful Quilter. Click on this link to see all the beautiful birds. My entry has a bird and it has purple and it has an umbrella and it has yellow! Now Table Scrap Challenge's theme for this month is "umbrella" and Angela called Yellow. What are the odds of that? 

Anywho! Back to yellow. This is what I have to work with. 

Let's see how light these bags will be at the end of the month. 

Have a great week, everyone. 
;^)


Joining these talented ladies during the week: 
Cynthia for Oh Scrap
NinaMarie at Creations - Quilts, Art, Whatever











18 comments:

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Sorry to hear about your back. Crossing my fingers you will find something more suitable. Love all the purple scraps and crumbs. Looking forward to the yellow!!

Gypsy Quilter Designs said...

If you can handle sitting in front of a computer at home, try Sedgewick. They provide the computer.

Good luck. San / Gypsy Quilter Designs

Jeanette said...

Love all your purple blocks.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Sorry to hear about your back and the job that caused it to go out, but what a good job you did with your purple scraps, Chantal!! One of your sons jumped on the declutter bandwagon? Lucky you, to have some help! Enjoy your YELLOW scrap sewing and best of luck with the job hunt.

PaintedThread said...

Sorry about the job. What a bummer. Fun scraps. (And so many of them!)

Astrid said...

So sorry about your back and that the job didn't work for you. Best of luck on finding a new job! All those fun blocks! You've been busy and I'm sure it was lots of fun going through all those scraps. Who doesn't have too many mugs/cups?! I sure do! ...and have to take serious action!

Lin said...

Great work on all your purples and nice slimmed down bag. Shame about the job, good luck with the job hunt. xx

Deb A said...

Oh no! Sorry to hear the job managed to hurt your back. I have a hubby with a bad back so I can understand your pain. Good choice - your health is more important than a job. You did great with purple and I'm sure you will do well with yellow.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I had to click over to see your table scraps piece - so glad I did! I'm so sorry about the job hurting your back, though. Hope it's better each day. The right one will come along. Looks like you're on your way to a fun yellow month!

Quilting Babcia said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your back injury, hope it is much better by now. Your health and well-being are way more important than the job. The right job will come along and hopefully soon. Can you send your son to do some decluttering around here? It's extremely difficult when you live with someone who won't throw anything away.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Aïe pour ton dos, et pour ton travail :( J'espère que tu trouveras rapidement quelques chose qui te convienne. Tes blocs violet sont joyeux, vivement les jaunes ! 7 tasses en moins, bravo !!
Merci pour le partage, bises.

Fiona said...

Great work with all your scraps, I am in love with the 9 patches and think I need to do something like that ..... decluttering can be hard but also a relief in a way.... hope your back is feeling better now... I wish there was more ways of making jobs out of our hobby passion....

Hugz

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I hope the "right" position crosses your path soon. In the meantime, I like where you are going with your scrap bags. Kudos to your son for helping with the declutter process. Good on you for tossing that travel mug with the logo that related to your former workplace. Who needs that taking up valuable real estate in your home???

Gwyned Trefethen said...

I am in awe of people who have scraps cut into usable strips and squares. My scraps are like yours - odd shapes best used for seaming together to achieve larger, scrappy shapes. The purple crumbs look great.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Your back is something that you just can't work if it is giving you problems. I do hope it improves and you can also find a more suitable position somewhere, one that will not aggravate your poor back. Meanwhile loads of lovely sewing happening at your place. Love to see your purple scraps used so cleverly and now the yellows. Take care Chantal and happy stitching from me whilst being mindful of your back!

Jenny said...

A painful back is no fun, I can relate to that. Best of luck with finding a new position, perhaps something in an office. Meanwhile, enjoy your sewing time, what fun go have all those donations to inspect.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Sorry about the back - but you are right - you kind of need that!!
Love all your scrappy blocks - it sounds like you had fun playing in them!

Nann said...

Hope you'll find a job that is more back-friendly. Meanwhile, what a wonderful array of purple and yellow blocks! Nice stash additions, too.