Saturday 10 August 2024

Slicing the Oranges

It was a short week but what a week it was. Let's have a look.

First, Orange, of course. 

This is what came out of the Orange scrap basket. Not much to play with as most of it is tiny little pieces. Lots of triangles. Ironing and measuring for a few hours at a time. 

Transitioning. 
I finished this beautiful Grey/Blue/Aqua crumb block. It is better looking in person. (not trimmed)

An Orange crumb block too. Of course! 


The 9-patch blocks were also transitioning. 

A little bud of a crumb photobomb the picture. You can see how small the scraps I have to play with in here. 

More crumb blocks were made. (4.5 square and 8.5 X 6.5) 

I have lots of funny-shaped scraps like this ... 
and this ... 

and this! I have a stack of almost an inch high of these triangles in three different orange prints. I cut them into usable size pieces. It took me a while but ... 

The end result is (6) 2.5" squares; (59) 2" squares; (20) 1.5 X 2.5" rectangles and (45) 1.5" squares. A pretty good harvest if you ask me. 

Sometimes, I get a tiny little piece of a print that I just can NOT throw out. Like this little kitten face. Sorry, forgot to take a picture before I started to sew but here's what I do. 

The adjacent fabric is not squared with the kitten print. I leave a good quarter inch beyond the kitten print on purpose. I sew as close to the edge of the kitten print as I dare. See the stitches at the bottom of the photo. 


Then, I iron the adjacent fabric towards the kitten print one and I sew it again but in a top-stitch way, on the inside of the kitten fabric. This way, the very slim kitten print seam is covered and will not fray. 

The end result is a little kitten looking at me through a hole in my crumb block, lol. 
If you look closely, you can see the top stitches on both sides. Sewn any other way, I believe the cute print would show only a kitty nose. 


The Stained Glass blocks aren't Stained Glass Blocks yet ... but getting close to the finish line. 

Raven's News. 


Mr. Raven is sleeping ... a lot. Is it the pain, is it the med? His Doctor said not to exert himself and he is doing just that. I will try to upload a video here (my first time), so I hope it works. 

I have never in my life, living with many different breeds of cats, seen a cat slobber! Dogs, yes! Cats? NO! But they can and they can do it ON PURPOSE, mind you! I'm flabbergasted. The first time Raven did it I called the vet. I thought my cat was dying. 


His Doctor said that cats will work their jaws to add air into their saliva to remove more of the bad taste in their mouths! Well now, you know it too. 

Early this morning, Raven had an appt with his Doctor who was pleased with his progress. He made me see how Raven could get up from a lying position much faster than before and his walk is more graceful, not as halting and painful as before. I was relieved. I didn't notice these little differences and I thought Raven hadn't improved at all. I thought the worst like him being in pain for the rest of his life. But there is hope still. It's slow progress but if the Vet is happy, I'm happy too. :^D

And I think this is all I have for this post. 
Take care everyone and enjoy the music of a sewing machine. 
;^) 


I will join these talented ladies this week. 











13 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

I love your method of stitching that little kitten block. Must remember that for the future. So good that Raven is making such good progress! We've never had a cat that slobbers, but our Aussie drools like a St. Bernard.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your crumb blocks, Chantal! They make me want to go and stitch some. Glad to know that Raven is getting better!

Jeanette said...

Your blocks look great. Putting together my orange blocks today, not something i have a lot of but enough for my 3 different projects. :) Glad Raven is getting better.

Jenny said...

You have done su h a lot with your orange scraps and I love Hello Kitty peeking out. Do hope Raven continues to improve. I didn't know that cats slobber. Our cat sometimes growls like a dog when she is really upset and cross! I've never had that with previous cats.

Lin said...

Lots of lovely orange happening there, the kitten face is so cute! And good to hear that Raven is doing better. xx

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Adorable ce tissu chat, et bravo pour en avoir tiré le maximum !
Bon courage à toi et à Raven. Bisous

Vicki in MN said...

I love how you did the cat face, you have some pretty orange scraps.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

The cat face in the orange crumb block is amazing! What a great way to get the absolute most out of a scrap! I hope Raven continues his recovery. I haven't seen cat slobber either!

Fiona said...

Good to hear Raven is improving.... well done with the orange blocks - you certainly are squeezing as much as you can out of the scraps...
Hugz

Nann said...

Your orange blocks are so aPEELing! I recently tackled a baggie of half-rects triangles by sewing them together into rectangular blocks. I have an idea for setting them but that entails making more. Of course.

Angie in SoCal said...

Love your oranges! They're so passionate.

Turid said...

I love you crumb blocks. I'll come back here when I need more inspiration.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh cute cat block
I am so glad Raven is progressing!