Friday 25 October 2019

Keep the Instruction Close By ....

... and the seam ripper even closer. Believe me, you'll need it. :^(

Working on corner #3 of the 365 Challenge Quilt. So I grabbed by sewing capsule and started sewing.

 Working hard on avoiding Y-seams. So here is the first block. It's good. I need three so back to the sewing machine.

Made two more. One needs to have a talk with the seam ripper. (Already?)

Flipping corners instead of Y-seams.  Saving the little tiny bonus HSTs blocks.

May I ask why you are saving these little tiny weeny HSTs?
"I don't know" replies the old crazy nag bent over her sewing machine. "They're cute!" she says still stitching away til it's bedtime.


Pinning units to a Styrofoam plate, trying to keep the ones that lean to the left separated from the ones leaning to the right.

Sewing evening after sewing evening. Eventually, the plate got too small or the project got too big ... whatever! I needed a bigger surface to pin the units. Found a piece of batting. Good enough!
Pin, pin, pin the units. Sew, sew, sew the little pieces. Bedtime. (Already?)

Then, Oh NO!!!!! Look what I forgot to do. The green circle is right; the others are wrong. Can you tell what is missing? Fudge! You need to follow the directions better than that if you want to finish this block one day.

Super Seam Ripper to the rescue! (What a waste of time!)

As I try to put units together, I saw that the branch units are smaller than the petals units. WHAT!! Out came the ruler and DARN! they are smaller. But why? I followed the instruction. Started looking for answers and I noticed the seam looked big so I measure it. Double darn! It is too large. Fudge! Let's see. Where have I put the seam ripper.

I hope you can see this on your monitor. At one point, I had switch foot on the sewing machine. (yes, the one on the sewing machine, not my foot. I would never change my stinky foot!) The stitch line on the left is with a quarter inch foot. The stitch line on the right is a quarter inch from the edge of the fabric. So quarter inch foot my hind foot!! Now how many pieces have I done with the quarter inch foot? AAAArrrrrgghh!

Seam ripper is hiding somewhere under this I think!

This is the difference between a quarter inch seam and a quarter inch stinky foot! The proof that all quarters are not the same.


Some evenings later, the basket gets done. I am getting so close to the end.

Then I couldn't sew them together. It didn't fit. Oh WHAT NOW?!!


Sure enough. Look. The branch isn't the same size. But I am not sewing with the stinky foot anymore, so what gives? While looking for the seam ripper I found this.


So if this is the "O" piece, what the heck have I sewn to the basket? Who cares. Super Tired Seam Ripper to the rescue.

Aaahhh! This is so much better. But now it is too late for me to do anything more. It's bedtime again!! Aaarrrgghh!

It'll have to wait one more evening.




DARN!




From these 5 pages of instruction,  ...






... I finally got this beauty ...








... named Aster ...









... on my design wall ...





















It is late, it is dark, it is not the best picture but it'll have to do for now. I will take more pictures tomorrow when the lighting is better. For now I am content.



I am soooo bent on finishing these blocks, that I could so sew, sew, sew! But I need to pay attention to the instruction and where I leave the seam ripper. ;^D


Enjoy!


I need a glass of wine now.   \_/   Cheers!


Joining Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict.
Wendy at Wendy's Quilts and More
Angela at So Scrappy 
Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun than Housework

14 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

Oh dear, you are a glutton for punishment, but your efforts paid off in the end, that is a gorgeous block. Glass of wine definitely in order!

Cathy said...

It’s a beautiful block, but it wouldn’t be worth the aggravation to me!! Your patience is admirable!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Oh look at that block, it is amazing! But I do know that sooo tired feeling that says, what? Not again?! Congratulations on sticking with it! :)

Quilter Kathy said...

WOW! You worked so hard for Aster! Great perseverance!
Quarter inch feet are stinky!

MissPat said...

I would have given up long ago. Good for you for sticking with it, but one must really question your sanity.
Pat

Lin said...

I should think you need a bottle of wine, not a glass! You do make me smile. Maybe you should get a seam ripper that can hang round your neck. The finished block is gorgeous and congratulations on your perseverance! xx

Fiona said...

oh wow. that block was a challenge but worth it all (I think) its a lovely block and you deserve more than one glass of wine...
Hugz

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

I love this post! I love that you shared the process and the aggravation and all the ripping. We have all been there. But many of us have not followed through to the end. Congrats! I'm so glad Aster wasn't a Disaster after all.

Susie H said...

Oh my! You and Jack the Seam Ripper had me in stitches!!!! Glad you could find a little humor in it all. Your block turned out beautifully!

canuckquilter said...

You are persistent, that's for sure. All worth it though. It's a beautiful block.

Gretchen Weaver said...

What a challenge but it's a lovely block! Every year I sign up for the 365 day quilt and then when the blocks start coming, I decide not to! Have you kept up with the daily blocks? Your quilt is going to be gorgeous when finished! Happy Stitching!

Deb A said...

Oh my! Beautiful block but what an ordeal to make! Glad you shared your journey... it makes me feel better that others struggle with blocks too =)

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Oh dear, I would need a whole bottle of wine after all that!

The block is amazing! Great job sticking with it. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW pretty!!!