Friday 21 May 2021

Little Bits of Red and a Big Rainbow

I got my Red Personal Challenge out and assessed where I was and what was left to do to get this quilt finish. Ha! Finish! Hahahaha!

It is still very much in pieces. 

Only 11 little log-cabin-style blocks are made so far ... 

They stand at 5.5 inches and will finish at 5 inches. 
 
They use up a lot of blacks so I need a great variety of it to avoid too many repeats as I am doing now. So, if anyone out there feels like sharing their scraps of black, charcoal, or very dark greys, I'll give you my mailing address. Small pieces are welcome as the smallest piece in the block is 1.5 X 0.75 inches. That is correct. No typo here. :^D  I am having soooooo much fun!! 



Before that, I finished the blue tulips from last month. Or was that the month before? Anywho! Here they are with their little sidekicks. 

One tulip made me curse a little bit. 
See how the right leaf points to the right and the left leaf points to the left? Easy, right? 


Well, I forgot that and sewed the corner pieces with the same slant on both leaves. Since I had already cut the "bonus HST" (for the shoofly block), I had to cut another piece of white. 

Sewed it up, ironed, and cut it, then I realized that I done the SAME mistake!! Whhaaat!?? (Can someone please bring me some coffee, I gently asked in my head while the left side of my brain went #$%*&@*#^#$!) 

Okay! Let's try again. You know the third time is a charm. Well, it didn't go so well. 
Look, I got it on the right side. Yay!! But ... Wait a minute! Whhhaaaat!!! No!! You're kidding me! I didn't use the right fabric. 🙄

That's right. My second and third attempts were made with the white fabric that I pulled out for the NEXT tulip. At this point, I was starting to be smart. (Yes, just starting to be. Must have been the coffee.) I hadn't cut the bonus triangles yet, so I can use this one in another tulip.  Ha! I cut another piece from the white fabric selected for THIS tulip and then finally moved on. Talk about being the Queen of Bloopers! Hahaha! 

Now for the rainbow part of this post. 

I've set the blocks down in a random layout. Should I use a rainbow layout? Sashing? Which colour? Should I add the little Shoofly to this quilt or keep them for a quilt of their own? 
When making a quilt, the questions seem to multiply at the same rate as the blocks. 

Have a great weekend. 

;^)

Joining
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Angela at SoScrappy
Frédérique at Pachtwork and Quilts
Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun than Housework
Denise at For the Love of Geese
Pat at Life in a Scrapatch


18 comments:

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

awesome projects you have going!

Quilting Babcia said...

Lots of decisions ahead for your great tulip quilt! I like the idea of sashing between the blocks, are you leaning that way? Are you looking for a particular genre of black scraps? I can send along an envelope of some. Those blocks are sure tiny but that's a beautiful design!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Little bits? LOVE!! Your rainbow of blocks is growing nicely, too, Chantal. Those tulips are going to make such a sweet quilt!

Lin said...

Haha - well you got there in the end and all those tulips together look stunning. Love your black and red blocks too. xx

Fiona said...

love the look of your log cabins.... annoying that the tulip was giving you trouble but they do look great together.
Hugz

CecileD said...

Je sens que je vais aimer ton Shoreline... les couleurs que tu utilises sont vraiment très belles !
Et ces bleus... j'ai cru un moment que tu faisais le Bom d'Edyta Sitar !! Amuses-toi bien et bon WE !!

Vicki in MN said...

The tulips are gorgeous. I don't know how big the little shoofly blocks are, but could they be cornerstones for a white sashing?

maggie fellow said...

love the tulips and the black and red play

Sarah Aldrich said...

I will go through my scrap bin tonight and will email if I have scraps. Glad to pay it forward as I don’t really use this color for scraps.

Ivani said...

Love the versatile black and red log cabin blocks you are playing with. Have fun Chantal.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The black and red blocks are going to make an amazing quilt! I can see where you would need a lot of different blacks. I'm not sure what I have, but I could possibly send you some. I love the tulips in all their pretty colors! So sorry that one gave you such fits.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Les blocs noirs sont super beaux ! Et petits ;)) Bravo pour les belles tulipes, et encore plus bravo après toutes ces aventures !!
Bises

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Wow! You get extra points for sticking with the tulip block when it just didn't want to go right. In the end, totally worth it, these are beautiful together.

Astrid said...

Love your tulip blocks. Maybe add sashing, and shoofly as border? Love your black & red too.

Katie Z. said...

Your blocks are beautiful!

gayle said...

You were on a roll - it just wasn't a good kind of roll...
I hope the rest of your sewing behaves a little better than that tulip!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Way to hang in there. Those tulips are true winners!

Goofin' Off Around the Block said...

Those little blocks are so precise. I can't imagine working with squares so small. And the bright colors of the tulips are so cheerful! Beautiful job! -Andrea