Saturday 3 July 2021

I Can Work with Black Again.


Angela announced the colour for July to be blue, as well as dark neutral, grey, and black. I am so happy! I get to play with black again. Ever since I received a squishy envelope, I've been itching to play with Shoreline again. But first, let's see how I did during this bad week. 


I continued working on the Framed 9-Patch quilt and did four more. They were my personal RSC / UFO challenge for June.  
Seafoam Green was helpful once again. Yay! Also did blue, grey, and darks for this month's RSC before I knew what the colour of July was. Awesome! 


I celebrated my birthday (yep, they said that a Covid lockdown was not an excuse not to get older) and I went shopping with my youngest son. Stores are slowly opening here and I enjoyed a few hours in thrift stores. I adore thrift stores! I found these flannels, in MY favourite colours! They couldn't have screamed my name better than that. There's a yard in both. 


Then, my sewing sessions were interrupted. You see, we have a urinal and it broke. It kept gushing water when my youngest flushed it. Needless to say, there was water everywhere, seeping through the floor down to the basement by the time we got this thing under control again. Guess which room is under the bathroom? Yes, my sewing room! There was a lot of fabric soaked. It kept me busy.   


The next day, it did it again. With my youngest one, again! The poor boy doesn't want to come close to it anymore, haha. We were better prepared so the damages were minimal this time. DH will dismantle it and ship it to the dump. I don't want this thing in my house anymore. 

Anywho! It got me looking at my sewing room and realize that I have a lot of projects on my sewing table, so much so that I am running out of tables. It's time to Spring clean my workplace. 

I have the habit of throwing little bits of scraps in bins when I cut fabrics. It was time to sort them out. 

First container, done. 

Second container, done. 
Look at all the scraps I regained! (I did this while working from home, waiting for work to come in through emails. It was a slow week. My laptop is in the upper right corner.) 


Then, Canada had a birthday too. Happy Canada Day! Hope you had a great one! 🍁


Anywho! I won't bore you with every single container of scraps that I cleaned suffice to say there are six fewer containers on flat surfaces. Ha! 

I found some treasures in there, like these cute fabrics. It is a rich brown paired with green and light baby blue. 
They were a project's squared-off end I'm sure, as they were sewn side by side. I unpicked and sewn them on top of the other to make this little mug rug. I had the checked one in the middle then decided against it. 
Sewn the three pieces left of this fabric living on my worktable to make the backing. It's blue and brown-ish. It'll work fine. 
It is now ready for quilting. Quick project and fewer scraps. 


Then, another container is slowly getting emptied as I worked on finishing this tiny little one. 

You think you have seen this SuperNova Star before? Yes and no, as this one has HSTs of only 1 inch finished. The first one finished at 1.25 inches. Such a BIG difference, haha. 

While working on the Supernova, my leader-ender were some more HSTs (surprised?) and I got one block done. This is HST Quilt #2. The green block is my visual reminder on how to sew the block.  

I did a blue one because Angela had announced the colour for July by that time. 


Another one is well underway. Picture was taken in the early morning light as it was too dark last night when I closed the sewing shop. 

As soon as I'm done with SuperNova, I'm heading back to Shoreline, a Judy Martin design, because I received a squishy envelope, remember?

My friend at Amity Quilter has sent me some black scraps. I received her envelope a while back but couldn't work with it as I wanted to finish working on the Framed 9-Patch first. They aren't finished but Angela said black so ... I can work with black again! These fabrics are just what I needed for Shoreline. 

Some will go into other projects as they are too lively for Shoreline, but aren't they gorgeous? Love them all!! The tablecloth is orange so these pictures are washed out. Sorry. BTW the tablecloth is another little treasure I found at the thrift store. It's great linen, as the good old stuff kind of linen. Yeah! 

These scraps are just perfect. I'll be able to make many blocks with these beauties. Thanks again, Pat! I am so grateful and I am so in love with your scraps. 🥰


I have more to show (a tool review, personal RS Challenge for July, tulips) but it will wait for another post as this one is turning into a documentary length. Haha. 

Take care. Enjoy life! 

;^) 

Joining
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Angela at So Scrappy
Frédérique at Patchwork and Quilts
Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun than Housework
Denise at For the Love of Geese
Pat at Life in a Scrapatch





16 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a week, Chantal!! You really seemed to take the bathroom disaster in stride. Have fun with those Dark fabric scraps!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Love those new HST blocks you're making, with the big solid pinwheels!

Ivani said...

OMG what a week! Supernova blocks are so pretty.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Et ben, semaine agitée ;)) Pas drôle cette histoire de fuite d'eau, surtout sur tes tissus. En tout cas ça a permis de faire de belles boîtes bien organisées ! Tes blocs bleus sont magnifiques.

Fiona said...

I'm exhausted at watching you deal with all those scraps!! haha...

Happy Birthday... glad yoiu were able to get out a bit and have some fun...

Hugz

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Gosh , a lot of fun is going on in your neck of the woods. I throw the little itty bitty scraps back in the bin too. I need to follow your lead and do some organizing. Love seeing your pretty projects. Have a wonderful weekend.

Ruth said...

It always feels good to get organized! The problem I have is that it only takes a few minutes to have a mess again. But at least we are getting things made, right?

Lin said...

Happy Birthday! However do you keep track of all your different projects - its mind blowing! Have fun with your blacks - I am sticking with blue. xx

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Happy Birthday! Sorry about the leak disaster, glad it wasn't any worse. I love seeing sorted piles of scraps--it makes me want to take down a few of the scrap baskets in my sewing room as well.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Your scrap sorting/taming yielded beautiful results. Glad the bathroom leak wasn't more of a problem. Each of your scrappy projects is wonderful!

CecileD said...

Tout d'abord joyeux anniversaire avec retard !!
Je suis navrée pour la fuite d'eau mais, mais il vaut mieux de l'eau que du vin qui aurait taché tous tes scraps... Je positive !! Belle semaine productive en tout cas ! Gros bisous :)

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I am drooling over all your wonderful scraps. Happy belated birthday. And thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Quilting Babcia said...

So sorry for your sewing room, enduring the flooding. Glad to hear the issue was resolved quickly before any serious damage happened. Fireworks about to start here, we'll be cuddling our quivering dog for the next hour or so.

gayle said...

Wowsers! And Happy Birthday!
And your poor flooded fabric...

Scrapatches said...

Happy Birthday! Very nice fabric find. You have been busy. That top framed four patch on the left is my favorite. The sewing looks like fun, the water issue does not. Your scrap fabrics are looking organized and colorful. I have a tendency to store scraps from one project in repurposed plastic jars and small containers. I means I have small scrap jars everywhere. I do occasionally go back and use those scraps together, but I have so many now, I really should go sort though them and combine them by color and size. Thank you for linking up ... :) Pat

For the love of geese said...

Happy belated birthday. Oh no, I hate plumbing problems. Love your scrappy blocks and I know the gratification you are feeling sorting those scraps. Just told my husband last night I had two large baskets that needed sorted and cleaned up but being new to saving scraps I feel lost. Thank you for linking up last week.