Saturday 10 July 2021

From 16 to 42

Although that sounds like my waistline history (lol), it's actually how many Framed 9-Patch blocks I now have compared to what I started with at the beginning of June. 

I couldn't just leave the Framed 9-Patch alone. Isn't this a great print? Found at the bottom of a gifted bag, I had to work with it. 

There were so few blocks missing that I continued sewing them and got them all done. 
Number 7 is the print I love. Number 6 is a very thin fabric. Not sure I will use it but that's a decision for next year. 
Number 8 is 

Orange! Aren't you surprised!! Haha. 



It will be a 6 X 7 layout, whenever I decide to put the top together, which could be next year's challenge. I enlisted the help of a little mug rug as that thin blue fabric kept flying off. Yes, it's that thin. Starting to regret my choice. It's too bad because it looks great. Anywho! It has all gone back into the drawer and out came my personal RSC for July. 

This month's challenge is to make more Stars in Blue blocks, as written on my list of UFOs RSC back in January. It's a variant of Ohio Star. 

A few rules must be followed to make this star. It has to be Blue. (Duh!) It has to have red or orange, and the middle square needs to be orange, red, or a print with those colours. 


I don't remember why I started making these blocks back in 2016 and even less why the rules. I remember there was no pattern, I just measured it in my mind and did a test block. One or two were assembled whenever I found fabric that would work in this block. There are now 9 blocks. Am I continuing this? Do I still love it? Honestly, I'm not excited about it as I was before. 


Maybe three more blocks and sashing will bring it up to a good size. What do you think? (sorry for the dark photo.)

During Zoom meetings at work, I finished sewing the binding on last week's tiny projects. 




A tool review: I spotted this eraser in the craft section in a dollar store. It's rubber but not like erasers' rubber. It's hard, stiff, not pliable. I remember a pair of boots had soles made with this stuff. I thought it might work on my cutting board to "erase" lint. Why are you looking at me that way? No, I am not crazy, only my ideas are crazy, lol. 


I usually use a scrap of batting to remove the lint from my cutting board. I have to rub a lot and in little circles. 


It doesn't clean well and doesn't get every lint out of the board but it picks up after itself. Please notice the black threads at the bottom left of the picture. 

Now the new product.  
Of course, I had to cut some more fabric in order to get the board "dirty" again. Same little black thread. Same scrap of fabric peeking at the top of the picture. 


It doesn't pick up after itself but it sure knows how to clean. I swept the mat as I would a broom across the floor, to accomplish this. For a mere dollar, I am very happy with my purchase. Just saying!





Meanwhile, Shoreline is growing.  

While cutting fabric for the tool review, this gorgeous print came to view and I couldn't help myself. I just had to make another Framed 9-Patch. 

Isn't it great? I could have cut the fabric differently in order to get the wave in a constant flow but ... whatever. Now we all know what's going to happen to the thin blue block. Haha. 
What? Are you asking about the little block on top? Oh, I blame Pat (Life in a Scrapatch) for that one. See what she did here. It finishes at 6 inches with lots of little bits of scraps all over, how could I not try one? But I am not getting on that wagon. 🤨🙄🤣

I believe this is all I have for now. 

Take care all. 

;^)


Joining
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Angela at So Scrappy
Frédérique at Patchwork and Quilts
Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun than Housework
Denise at For the Love of Geese
Pat at Life in a Scrapatch



16 comments:

Julierose said...

I am a big fan of your framed 9-patches blocks..really neat fabrics...hugs, Julierose

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Plein de beaux blocs ! J'aime beaucoup tes 9 patches, particulièrement l'orange et le vert avec les vagues ! Cette gomme a l'air bien efficace sur ton tapis de coupe.
Merci pour le lien partagé dans ma link party ;)

Maggie said...

Cleaned the cutting board with a regular eraser, then after tapping it over the bin to gt the bulk of the eraser bits off I use a damp facecloth. It clean the cutting mat well and no fluff or dust is left behind. Love the star blocks.

PaintedThread said...

I have an eraser to lean the cutting board like that - but sometimes I have to dampen it to pick up right. This looks great!

(I like the prior commenter's idea of a damp facecloth, too - I'll have to try that!)

Quilting Babcia said...

I love that fabric you used for your framed nine-patch block. It would make a fabulous border fabric if you had enough! Those framed nine-patch blocks would be a great block for our quilt ministry stitchers.

MissPat said...

Let me just say that I think the real solution to the cutting mat lint is a new cutting mat. That one looks like it's done it's duty and should be retired. The framed nine-patch is coming along nicely.
Pat

Fiona said...

Love the framed 9 patches... and glad to see you made an extra. I love that people can craft during their work 'zoom' meetings now...I have always used a regular eraser to clean my cutting board - I haven't seen that hard one around her... happy sewing...
Hugz

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your framed 9 patches are just great! So fun to see them all laid out together. I like the star blocks, too. You've been busy!

gayle said...

Love your framed 9 patches, as always! And those Blue Stars are gorgeous! I'd try a sashing that made little Ohio or Sawtooth stars at the intersections, but you know how I like to overcomplicate things... 8)

Lin said...

Oh Chantal, your posts do make me smile! Love your framed 9 patches, they look so good together. I do use an ordinary rubber to clean my board but it does wear away the rubber, yours looks like a great idea. Have fun with all your lovely blocks. xx

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Awesome block in beautiful fabrics. And super clever on the eraser. I am heading to the Dollar Tree. Lol. Happy quilting.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your last few Framed Nine Patch block are taunting me, Chantal. They want me to start a new project. I am SEW NOT going to do that this year!! Tell them they might have a chance for the 2022 Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

Susie H said...

So many pretty blocks. I really like the Framed 9-Patches. You are using some amazing fabrics!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I love all your scrappy blocks. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Scrapatches said...

Oh ... but have your seen this week's Bird of Paradise bock for the Summer in the Garden Quilt? Jump on the bandwagon! Tee-hee ... just kidding ... well, maybe not. I love your block made of scraps. I love all your scrappy goodness. I really like the Ohio Star variation and colors. Another row would be nice. Then call it and quilt it, if you like. There are so many beautiful quilts to make. Thank you for linking up and sewing along with me ... :) Pat

For the love of geese said...

That was a good buy if it does the trick and it looks like it does, who would've though? Almost worth a trip to town to look for one. I love all of your blocks. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down last week.