Saturday 31 July 2021

My Personal Rainbow Scrap Challenge

In July, I was to work on my Stars in Blue quilt. Nine blocks were made and abandoned in 2016. I played with a few ideas most of the month to finish this quilt. Someone commented that I should add stars in my sashing. (thanks for the inspiration, Gayle. Always helpful. 🧡) So I played with more stars. 

I made two testers, took some pictures and played on the computer. 

I came up with these options.

option 1

option 2


option 3

I didn't bother to photograph all 9 blocks, so it will look different when done but it gives me an idea of what to expect. I'm not too keen on option 3. One Ohio Star block is missing to make this pattern. It will be done this weekend. So, what do you say? 

Last week, I show you this picture. 

When I took it down from the design wall, I realized it isn't flying the right way. 

It will need a session with the seam ripper. Haha! Blooper! 

The cleaning of the sewing room continues. I discovered where the bonus HSTs from the first tulip blocks were hiding. I quickly turned them into shoo-fly! 



With all the cleaning and cutting I didn't get to play with Shoreline. Depending on August's colour for the RSC, I might continue to work on it. 

That's all I have for now. Take care everyone and have a great one! 

;^) 












17 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

I like both view 1 and 2 but cross out view 3! It never fails, you don't see the mistakes until you put the photo on the blog, happy stitching/ripping!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I'll be interested to see what you decide to do with those stars, Chantal. If I had to choose, I think I might go with Option 1 for its strong contrasting chain effect.

Quilting Babcia said...

I'm loving option one, again because the contrast highlights the stars wonderfully. But then again I suspect you will get differing opinions since we all see and react to colors differently. What do you like? That's what is really important!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I like Option 1! That chain frames the bigger star blocks so nicely. So sorry the ripper is needed for your HST block - that's definitely something you wouldn't notice until you looked at the blocks side by side.

MissPat said...

I'd go for Option 1 because there's more contrast, but if you're looking for a softer feel then Option 2 works. And hooray for finding the missing cutoffs so you could make the red shoo-fly blocks.
Pat

Fiona said...

you are so clever to make a few blocks and then play with a design on the computer... no wonder you get such spectacular results.... love the stars.... I'm afraid I couldnt find themistake - I did look quite hard...
Hugz

gayle said...

Oh, this looks way better than anything I could have envisaged! I love the big contrast of Option 1!
And I like your piwheels blocks - even when they spin the wrong way!

Quiltpiecer said...

Your star blocks are so pretty. I especially like Option 1. I'm sure whichever option you choose, your quilt will be beautiful.

Vicki in MN said...

I am really liking option #1!

Marly said...

My favourite is option one with the dark Ohio stars forming a chain. You could reverse the colours using dark for large stars and light for the smaller stars and the corner squares. If you've got more light large squares then I'd stick with option 1. Good luck; however you decide it's going to be spectacular.

Kat Scribner said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous. I love your ohio star quilt!! You always have the BEST ideas !!

Edith said...

Wow, so many pretty things here. I don't know if we are voting, must say I like 'option 1'.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Bonne idée les petites étoiles en blocs alternatifs ! J'aime bien le contraste de l'option 1 aussi, et hâte de voir ton choix et le résultat avec tous les blocs. Bravo pour avoir retrouvé les blocs égarés !
Merci pour le partage de lien dans la link ❤️

Susie H said...

That's all you got? I think you did a lot wonderfully! Very pretty blocks.

SueR said...

I would have to go with the majority, option 1. I think it is the most striking, and I think it provides a place for the eye to rest more effectively than the other two options. Great addition! I also saw your triangles--lots of them, lol.You're a scrapaholic like me!

Scrapatches said...

I love your stars in blue quilt! The layout is wonderful. The reverse pinwheel block looks okay to me ... a fun design element. Thank you for linking up all your pretty blocks ... :) Pat

Barbara Sindlinger said...

What program do you use to design the quilts using pics? I need to try that with some orphan blocks.