Saturday 12 February 2022

Rainbow UFO Challenge: Red to Teal

On the second Saturday of each month, I will (try to) publish a post to show what I accomplished on the Rainbow UFO Challenge the previous month, and what I will be working on during the current month.

January was assigned the colour red and I had tagged "to start a new project". If I had known it was to be called first, I would have tagged something else, but it's all good. Since I used the word project, it didn't necessarily have to be a quilt, right? 

So, here's the story. 
I was gifted some curtains a long time ago.


They are made of very nice, sturdy linen. Love the colour, love the checkered, cute wooden buttons, so I accepted the two panels for my living room. I hung them up and took them down in less than 15 minutes flat. You see, the checkered didn't align from one panel to the other. (Ugh!) Being a quilter, I'm sure you understand that it bugged me to no ends. In the closet, they went. I didn't know what to do with them. 

Fast forward to January 2022. I took the panels out and started to take them apart. You know me, I love to do that. So much more potential comes to the fabric when it isn't attached to something. (Unless your name is Cynthia Brunz. She teaches me so many new tricks.)

It was easy enough to turn the panels into tablecloths. Looks good too. 


What to do with the ties? 

My idea was to make a grocery bag with some jeans scraps I have and decorate it with the ties, with or without the buttons. 
The colours are more accurate in this picture. 

January went by so quickly that I didn't get a chance to work on that. It's only a postponement as I would really like to have the bag I have in mind. Stay tuned. 



February's colour is Teal/Turquoise and all the between blue and green colours. I selected Spinners for this month because it has more blue and green than any other colour. 

This is where I'm at. 

I'm missing one block and I removed one that looked too much the same green as another one. So, two more spinners to do and a gazillion of little HSTs. That sounds like fun! 

It may or may not be the final layout. 

We'll see next month how far along I was able to bring this quilt. 

We should have called this cat Enigma ...
... because his tail is forever in the shape of a question mark! Haha. (Only teasing, Raven. I love your fluffy tail, straight or not. 🐾😻) 



Have a great week everyone. 

;^)

Joining 
Frédérique for Patchwork and Quilts
Cynthia for Oh Scraps



13 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nice job on repurposing those curtains, Chantal, and I will look forward to seeing the bag project, too!! Spinners is coming along beautifully. Love. love LOVE super scrappy quilts!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those curtains did make a great tablecloth - love how you did that! Spinners is turning into a fun quilt, too. I think Raven's tail is quite unique!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Ces rideaux sont très beaux, bonne idée de les réutiliser autrement ! J'aime beaucoup les attaches, elles vont bien avec du jean, et j'ai hâte de voir le sac terminé !!
Jolis, tous ces petits HST ;)

loulee said...

Your RSC quilt top is coming along nicely. It looks like raven approves.

Fiona said...

Great idea with the curtain fabric becoming bags. I love reusing the old linens and cottons the quality is lovely. Your spinners are amazing - love the look

Hugz

Susie H said...

I love the idea of RSC Spinners with scrappy centers. Very pretty. Raven, aka Enigma, you are a lovely kitty. But you probably already know that! Haha!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Fun story going on here!!! It looks sooo good as a tablecloth! And have you ever been going to town on the teal spinners!!! Great job!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Now that's my kind of recycling! The tablecloths look great, and I'm looking forward to the jean grocery bag reveal. Nice to see how your spinners are coming along.

Lin said...

Nice use of those curtains. Yes that would have bugged me too. The bag sounds like a great idea. xx

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I am loving our scrappy spinner blocks. I am currently stuck on a bunch of HSTs too. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

gayle said...

I really love your Spinners!
Can't wait to see the bag!

julieQ said...

I love seeing what you do with scraps...love it!

Helenchaffin said...

What an interesting layout for your quilt, I luv it!