Wednesday 13 July 2022

While I'm at Jericho Wall (my method)

I thought of showing you my method for assembling this block. 

I've cut many pieces for the blocks: 2.5 X 3.5 and 2.5 X 2.5 from different background fabrics. I've also cut the black center piece : 2.5 X 2.5. I've cut long strips of my constant red fabric and paired them up with a background fabric at 1.5" X whatever I have. 

I subcut these only when it is chosen for a block. There are fewer chances that the stitches come undone when they aren't cut at 1.5 inches. 

Having these pieces at the ready saves me a lot of time when assembling the block. All I need now is to choose the print fabrics. Today it's Lilac! 

From the darker fabric, I'll cut 4 squares at 2.5" and from the lighter one 4 rectangles at 2.5 X 4.5". 

Then, I set up all the pieces, being careful not to have twice the same background fabric or one that is too loud for the rest. You know the drill. 

Next comes the selection of the red corner units. Since they are all different, it is easy to select four that aren't of the same fabric as the background fabrics. 

Voilà! The sewing can begin as I am satisfied with these pieces. 


Clockwise. I always sew clockwise, starting from the top left. In this photo, you can see that it is already sewn together and the red corner unit with the rectangle from the top right is under the needle. 
Only after these are done do I go to the next unit to be sewn: light and print squares. Again in a clockwise motion. 

Why do I work this way? Because of how our brain works. If I were to sew the top pieces, from left to right, consecutively, my brain has no idea what I'm doing. I would need to check the direction of the pieces all. the. time. 

Or else, I would end up with a block like this. See how the top left rectangle is not in the same direction as the others. The block is fine, the red corner is at the right place and all but still ... it's an OCD thing. If I spin the unit around to be vertical, the red corner will be inward. By sewing the same thing over and over, it is easier for the brain to register an error. 

Okay. Let's move on. Again, I sew the units together in a clockwise motion. The first unit is sewn, and the second one is under the needle. 


Then, I press and assemble the block in a 9-Patch fashion. 


In no time at all, my design wall looks like this.  


Enjoy! 


I've been pondering about the sashing for this quilt. I played on the computer with some pics to make a mockup. Now, I have a question for you.

Which option do you prefer?



                        1                                                       2                                                   3

1 - with black cornerstones. 
2 - with bright red cornerstones 
3 - with the same red cornerstones as the blocks 

I know my mockups are crooked (the pictures taken from my blog weren't cooperating as well as those I still had on hand). I'll try to make a better one with the real blocks on the floor. 

Take care, everyone! 

;^)

 Joining 
Angela at So Scrappy 
Frédérique at Patchwork and Quilts 
Cynthia for Oh Scrap! 



9 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

Getting to the most important part of the comment, I like option 3 best, but the most important opinion is yours. I like to put complex blocks together in a similar fashion, always having them laid out ahead of time and referring to a completed (and hopefully correct) block while assembling each new one. Your Jericho Wall blocks are very pretty, will these become a bed size quilt?

gayle said...

I've been using a similar technique with my Hawk's Nest blocks - slow and careful is key!
I think it would be easier to decide about cornerstones when you lay out actual blocks. Those itty bitty mockups are hard to get a firm grasp of.

Lin said...

These are looking good. I think I would use the same red for the cornerstones as the corners in the blocks. xx

Kathy S. said...

I like option 2.

Fiona said...

It all makes sense to me.... and the blocks work out so well.... love what you are doing with this one...
Hugz

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

It's great to see how you make those blocks, Chantal! I like option 3 for the sashing. Those cornerstones in the sashing make a fun secondary pattern!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Great visual for making those blocks. I really like them in purple - my favorite color. And thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

I do like option 3.

Bonnie said...

Interesting process although I can't quite see the rationale for sewing the way you explained. But I understand it works for you and that is what counts. I like the purples you used. Turns out I don't have a lot of purple scraps... sigh.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Option one or three, depending on the look YOU want. LOVE the new blog header photo, Chantal!!!