Saturday 20 August 2022

Little Oranges are Called Clementine (power outage)

What are little bits of orange fabric called? 

Scraptines. Hahaha. 

Future Crumb Blocks


We had a planned power outage last Sunday. No laundry, no baking, and no sewing could be done but there's always cutting. So cutting, I did. Then, there was lots of sewing to do once the power was back on. 


This is the center of a crumb block made with the smallest of my orange scraptines. 


Star Bloom blocks with lots of 2" pieces. The one on the left looks pink but when it is next to pink, it looks orange. It's a neither-nor kind of colour. It'll fit perfectly in the quilt. 


A baker's dozen of 9-Patch blocks at 3.5" unfinished. I love orange but orange with orange not so much. There's always one that steals the show and the other fades away. I prefer when it is paired with another colour and shines like it ought to. I had some purple to sew from last month too. 


And yes, I just had to try the Framed 9-Patch with the busy/darker neutrals (see my last post). I just had to know what it would look like. The suspense was killing me, haha. 


So I started with this one. 
The difference between the two 9-Patch blocks.




This is so cute! but that's because the fabric is so lovely.  Let's try another one. 




Oh, I love this one too. Let's try it with something more busy and colourful. Just doing tests here. 
 


It still looks good. Okay, okay. I got it. 



How about ...





... a fabric that I never use because ... 





... I find it hard ...





... to match it with anything? 



So this aspen fabric looks ... 


wonderful matched with green. Oh, boy! This is really fun but I need to stop and put it away. I believe I have found a solution for the Framed 9-Patch quilt who is too small though. If I add a border with neutral framed-9-Patch blocks, it would work, right? It might even look nice. 

For now, it goes back into its box as this is not the Rainbow UFO Challenge I have to work on this month. The colour orange was tagged to the Hole in the Barn Door quilt. A little bit of progress was made on the sashings. Oooh, so many little scraptines were used here too. 

This week, even the bugs were cute! I cut this one for a kit I'm slowly putting together for an I Spy quilt. 



Happy sewing everyone. ;^)


Joining 
Angela at So Scrappy
Frédérique at Patchwork and Quilts 
and Cynthia on Sunday for Oh Scrap! 



16 comments:

Ivani said...

All your Framed 9-Patch blocks are great!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I do love those framed 9 patches! They work so great with the solids. I know what you mean about some orange fabrics - not quite pink, not quite orange. Sometimes it's like that with red-orange, too. Have fun sewing those little crumbs!

Fiona said...

Love all those 9 patch variations...
Hugz

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Scraptines, I love it! And the framed nine patches are amazing. It's so much fun to try each set of scraps in a new project.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

love all your projects you got going!

PaintedThread said...

Those star bloom blocks are pretty cool!

Cathy said...

So many cute blocks. I do believe the neutral-framed 9P blocks will be a super solution to making your quilt into a twin size. An idea to tuck away for sure!

Lin said...

I love your framed 9 patches. Lots of great work on your oranges. xx

maggie fellow said...

framed nine patches are almost magical - a surprise each time it is done - lovely

grammajudyb said...

In agreement with everyone else. Those framed nine patches are great! Anxious to see all your scraptines!:)

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I'm impressed with those framed nine patches and I laughed over your "scrappiness!" Too funny! It is so fun to see your blocks as you finish each of the colors.

Sandy Panagos said...

I absolutely love how the Framed Non-Patch is coming along. That's what happens when you play!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

All of your color choices look great! I love the framed crumb blocks and the star blocks too.

Quilting Babcia said...

Love orange and love your framed 9-patch blocks. This is a fun month of orange block making for you!

cityquilter grace said...

scrap sewing is indeed addictive! cute blocks...

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I am in love with those framed nine patches. I definitely need to make some of my own. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!