Saturday 29 October 2022

Finishes - The Placemat, the Bird, the House

The placemat: 

I thought of doing a green placemat this month but I could only finish the black one I started in September. 
Instead of the usual white background, I chose a light grey fabric. I had to use some white-on-black strings as it was getting very dark. Used a piece of the M&M print to bring some fun, JOYFULNESS, to it. 

The back is a fun dot print. I had that print in red too and you can see just half a circle of it in the triangle on the front. 

My goal is to make a light/lime green one in November. I've barely touched the sewing machine in two weeks. Gotta get back on that horse soon. 

The house: 

We finished painting the house and I didn't post a final picture. So here's my pumpkin house. 

Next year: landscape! 
 
The bird: 

I just couldn't keep it alone!

I HAD to retouch the chickadee's back. I find its wing too low, and adding a few more feathers would help the issue.

As I opened the paint bottles, some drops splashed onto the plaque! I tried to remove them but of course, the wood immediately absorbed the droplets and I just smeared them on.  


They are close enough to the tree to become another branch, so it's not the end of my world. While at it, I might as well retouch the whole tree. It looks pretty weak.  Ok! Deep breath. You can do this, girl.

A couple of hours later ... 


And Ta-Dah! 

I decided to just elongate the first feathers on its shoulder. I'm now sealing this to protect it from me touching it again. 

The Ste-Trinity Astisans meeting is Nov first and I want to show it to the members. They don't know I paint. Then it will be given to my MIL to decorate her door at the residence. I'm so happy I was able to do this for her. 

Back to the sewing room, I go. Some catching up needs to be done. 

Take care everyone. 

;^)

Joining 
Angela at So Scrappy
Frédérique at Patchwork and Quilts
Cynthia for Oh Scrap! 





15 comments:

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Love how you assessed your work and figured out a way to bring it to life.

Deb A said...

Wow! You are a very talented artist and I love how the chickadee came out! The house looks great, and your placemat is lovely!

Jenny said...

Your bird painting is delightful! You are very talented, both a quilter and an artist.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's a great placemat in the black prints, Chantel! Your house looks wonderful with its fresh coat of paint, too. Chickadees are a favorite bird here - love your painting!

Quilting Babcia said...

Your chickadee is wonderful! Beautiful finish. The new house color looks good, very neutral, at least on my screen and not at all orangey. Those placemats will make a pretty set for colorful dishes like Fiesta, do you by chance have them?

grammajudyb said...

Well done in adding some dimension to the placemat with the pops of color and the chickadee painting too!! It's really lovely. I'm sure your MIL will love it.

Lin said...

Your bird is beautiful and the extra branch balances everything out nicely. Your place mat looks very smart, as does your house! xx

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Cute placemat, the M & M guy made me smile! I am so amazed at the way you fixed a paint smear into an even better picture! We have chickadees on our porch most mornings, and the one on your painting looks like it just flew in! What a lovely gift for your MIL.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I am in love with this bird project of yours. I have loads of chickadees here at my feeders and I love them. Your house looks great and maybe a neat design?? I also love the placemat and the backing fabric is joyful. I need to make some of those!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Tous tes travaux sont superbes, la maison incluse ;) Bravo pour ces belles réalisations.

Sandy Panagos said...

I love the little M&M in the placemat. The gray background looks good. White may have been too bright. Your chickadee just goes to show you that you have to keep with something until you're happy with it. It looks great!

QuiltGranma said...

Increasing the contrast really helps the painting. Especially for the older eyes in retirement cannot always see what younger eyes see.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Chantal, I loved to hear about your bird challenge. You really did great - overcoming that smeared paint and making the whole composition even better. Congrats!

SueR said...

Wow, who knew you painted? I am very impressed with your painting--it's beautiful! Well done!

dq said...

What a talented painter you are! I love that bird and the detail on the tree branch.