Saturday 15 October 2016

Got my Orange fix

After my Wednesday post, I found myself in a second hand store and moseyed around. They have a fabric section which I look through every time I go. My heart skipped a beat or two when I found this.

Batiks!! ORANGE Batiks!!! Bliss!
And there was more....


I ended up with 5.25 meters of the real Batiks for $1.99 a piece. Yes, just two dollars a piece! Believe me it was a "Start the car" moment. (see IKEA Start The Car ad here)

I also worked with Orange this past week on my OMG for October.
From this audition ....


to this top.
Hopefully, I can baste and start to quilt this one over the weekend. Today is such a beautiful day that I might spend it outside ... with some other projects.

Talking about other project, here's one that use little snippets.
Hole in the Barn Door blocks.
Not the kind of quilt I can do in a month but whenever I get little pieces I sew them together. Eventually it will get done. I get a lot of little snippets from the 365 Challenge blocks but I try not to sew all the blues and browns together. They are fun to sew as anything goes and you don't have to be accurate about it. To make these blocks, the little pieces are trimmed to 2.5 X 4.5 then sewn to a white piece of the same size. I cut 5" squares for the HSTs, sew them with a white piece and trim them down to 4.5 ". The block in the center is also 4.5". Easy, right?


And that's all I've got ... for now.

Joining Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Can I get a Whoop Whoop?

Angela at SoScrappy for Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

Joining Nicky at Mrs. Sew & Sow for Scraptastic Tuesday!

Joining Angie at A Quilting Reader's Garden for WIPs Be Gone!

And a new-to-me blog and linky party  Myra at Busy Hands Quilts for Finished or Not Friday

Also joining another new-to-me blog, (thanks Lisa) Molli Sparkles for Sunday Stash


Hope to see you as a participant or simply as a browser at these wonderful blogs. Let me get another cup of coffee and I'll be right over.

Until next time ...

;^)



20 comments:

Nicky said...

Some very colourful piecing and purchasing! Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE your new quilt top AND that amazing fabric score!!!

Dresden Lane said...

I love thrifting too and that fabric is a great find. I love the zig-zag quilt you made.

Dresden Lane said...

I love thrifting too and that fabric is a great find. I love the zig-zag quilt you made.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Oh you landed a great thrift bargain! What a nice find :) The zig zag looks great as to the other blocks!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I wish I could find great fabric like that at our local thrift store, but no such luck for me! I love the decision you made for your HsT quilt,and those Hole in the Barn Door blocks are a lot of fun, too!

Sue said...

Isn't it thrilling to find something so great while thrifting? You just don't know what you will find...guess that is what makes it so much fun!

Love your your zig zag pattern.....it has turned out so great!

LA Paylor said...

wow batiks for what's it?? 40 cents a yard? hows my math? Lucky....

Lisa J. said...

Wow Chantal. Such beautiful work. I love the scrappy hole in the barn door blocks and the chevron is to die for...I'm glad you traded out the green....and great fabric finds. You should link this up with Molli Sparkles Sunday Stash. He did some shopping in a similar way.

CecileD said...

Tu as trouvé la parfaite combinaison avec cet orangé ! Surtout ne change rien j'adore !
Et j'adore aussi tes deux blocs ...magnifiques !

Stitchin At Home said...

A great find! I've never found any fabric in any thrift stores I've been in.

Louise said...

Major frugal fabric score!! I assume you bought every bright batik they had?

I like those "Hole in the Barn Door" blocks quite a lot. Looks like a fun way to use up the truly tiny scraps.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Congratulations on the finished top! I look forward to seeing it quilted.

Lena Pugacheva said...

What incredible luck! Looks like the Providence has some plans for you making a batik quilt))) Your OMG top looks beautiful, can't wait to see it in the final link-up.

PaulaB quilts said...

What a,fantastic find! Love those batiks, so brilliant. Your little blocks are fun, thanks for the measurements.

Laurie said...

Love your hole in the barn door scrappy blocks. I do something similar with star blocks. I use crumb blocks as the center portion of the star...then use other fabrics for the background and the star points. I've made a couple of them now. They are fun and easy...and the crumb blocks are a lot of fun to make.

What a find on the batiks!

Angie in SoCal said...

Love, love your chevron modern quilt, and those churn dash blocks are neat too. Thanks for linking to WIPs Be Gone.

Lin said...

Gorgeous Batiks and I love the use of your scraps. xx

Sarah Craig said...

I love orange, too, so I'm totally jealous of your batik score! And those Hole in the Barn Door blocks are wonderful - so creative to use scraps!!

Vicki in MN said...

What a steal you found! I love your scrappy Hole in the Barn Door blocks, pinning that for later;-) Your zig zag quilt is awesome!