I was real proud of my August block Chimney Rock.
Armed with more confidence, I set to assemble September's block which is Sage bud. More Y-seams then I dare to count. But one at a time is all I can sew, right? It started pretty good actually.
The first seam with the yellow fabric was very good and the next one acceptable.
Same with this unit.
The more I added, the better it looked.
Then the fourth unit is ... to be unstitched. It won't lay flat at all. It warps. ARGH!! So I restitched, and unstitched, and re-restitched and ... I examined the others, trying to find what I was doing differently. During the examination, I realized something. The block is to finish at 12.5 inches so each unit has to be 6.5, right? Well, they are not! WHAT???
I took out the template (sorry but it is misbehaving today) and examined it a bit.
Barbara's blog and she does say it in the post : must add seam allowances. (paste huge sigh of discouragement here) THAT's what happen when you do a BOM block months later. You forget little important details! Angry at myself for wasting fabric, time and patience but it will past.
So if I am to start all these units over AGAIN, where I might end up making another big mess of the last y-seam, I might as well EPP it!! (EPP=English Paper Piecing)
Got some old Christmas cards some businesses sent to the office and drew the templates. Adding the seam allowances as I cut the fabrics.
This evening, I will keeping Kathy company, watching Mercy Street and Victoria on PBS while we both slow stitch, each on our own project.
To make sure my templates are the right size, I have started to assemble one.
Kathy right here.
Until next time ... the Westering Women are getting that wheel fix real good!