Wednesday 27 July 2016

July is done!

No, not the month. My month doesn't go by any faster than yours. It already goes by too fast as it is, I don't want time to step on the pedal! What I mean is my goal for July is done!


With Heidi's help, I am motivated to accomplish One Monthly Goal and I succeeded this month's goal.

My huge hexagon quilt is now completed. My goal was to add the two light diamonds missing and to attached the last row of green diamonds. 


It is so big that the clothesline is not high enough anymore, even with the first row folded on the line. 



When I started this quilt, I had no idea how to finish a hexagon quilt. As I attached the diamonds, I also attached a navy blue hexi to finish the sides evenly. I thought it would be nice. 


At the top, I added a row of half diamonds and a strip of the same navy blue. Now, I hate it!  Thanks to so many wonderful hexagon bloggers, I now know how to finish my quilt beautifully. So I will remove all these half diamonds and navy blue hexies and applique the quilt to a border, like it should be. 



Sorry but you are not done seeing this project on my blog. lol



While I deconstruct the sides, I will think about my August goal. Which one would be a good project to work on? So many choices!  
I won some hexagon templates from Angie at A Quilting Reader's Garden for Christmas in July. (They came in a lovely Christmas Card. Too cute!)  I have to put the templates to good use, right? Oh! sooooo many choices! 


Joining: 

WIPs Be Gone at A Quilting Reader's Garden
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop at Confession of a Fabric Addict
Slow Stitching Sunday at Kathy's Quilts


Until next time ... 


;^)





23 comments:

gayle said...

Wow! It's wonderful!
You'll have to start a new hexie project right away, right? Otherwise you'll feel lost after doing hexies for sooooo long!

Nann said...

What an unusual hexie setting! Congratulations on completing this wonderful quilt for OMG.

Karen's Korner said...

Well done on achieving you goal. That looks like a LOT of hexies there.

CecileD said...

Et bien....quel travail ! Il est superbe mais ...il est immense ! Lol ! Tu peux être très fière de toi :)))
Comment vas-tu le quilter ? À la main ou à la machine ?
Gros bisous Chantal !

Chantal said...

Congratulations on meeting such a wonderful goal. Your quilt is stunning. You should be really proud of your accomplishment. Well done.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful quilt and wow....lots of work! Congrats!

Angie in SoCal said...

It is beautiful! I'd make the August goal be to add that outer border - that will take awhile. Thanks for linking to WIPs Be Gone.

PaulaB quilts said...

Getting it finished to that size is a tremendous goal in itself. I know it will look the way you want it on the edges soon and that will be a day,to celebrate. BTW, my post is acting weird, just hit the Home button and it will show up.

Rebecca Grace said...

Hahaha -- you're worried that your readers are getting sick of seeing this quilt? I feel that way about the pineapple log cabin blocks that I've been working on FOREVER... But this hexagon quilt is absolutely spectacular. What a tremendous accomplishment! It's the projects that take the longest that I enjoy the most, and I can appreciate the time and effort that went into something like this. Bravo!

Fiona said...

Its so lovely... I cant believe you are undoing all those edges though! but the end result must be something you love or it will never be right
Hugz

Heidi said...

We can not see too much of this amazing heirloom! Gorgeous! Although I have never done it, I like the idea to applique on to the border. Re-work is a bummer but not in the scope of things, time for a movie night!

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

I so admire your staying power to make your beautiful hexagon quilt. I have been tempted many times to start one, but I'm not sure if I have it in me to complete it. Well done on your wonderful goal. I look forward to the finish.
Smiles
Kate

Lin said...

Well done! It looks superb and I like your idea for finishing it. Have a great weekend. xx

Bonnie said...

Yea for a completion... sorry for the deconstruction. How about putting deconstruct and sew it to the backing as a goal? I like choosing goals where I can actually finish a quilt. Feels so good to strike them from my UFO lists.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

wonderful hexie quilt! love it I am working on hexies also

Jennifer said...

Oh no, not deconstruction. Hope it goes quickly for you. The quilt is beautiful and with so many hexies.

Quilter Kathy said...

It's gorgeous... I will never get tired of seeing it! I think the applique is the best way to finish it and you will be very happy with the result!

CathieJ said...

That quilt is so pretty. Sorry you have to remove so much but I look forward to seeing the finished quilt.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Very nice. I've only done a few hexies so far.

Deb A said...

I'll never get tired of watching this one progress. Good job with the July goal and good luck with August.

Kaja said...

You learn something new every day! I think I'd have come up with a solution similar to yours; it will be interesting to see the quilt with borders now. And congratulations on getting this far!

Béa said...

Mon dieu quel travail, je n'aurai jamais la patience de faire ça, bravo Chantal !

Ivani said...

I have some ufo's hexies that need do come to life again. How to finish it is a question that I am always asking myself. Your quilt is gorgeous.